Thursday, May 6, 2010

on my future

today my professor aptly observed that i don't seem to want to be in school. he's right. i want to finish college so i can get on with my life but it's an uphill battle. not that i can't do the work, it's just i have so much else i want to be doing. i was looking at courses for the summer over at the international center of photography in nyc. at first my dad suggested i take a course at nyu so i dont have a 6 week gap between the end of school and a summer course but i have a bunch of things i want to do at my leisure. so my plan for july is now to take two courses at icp. i think i've decided on an introductory video workshop inspired by the same professor. he saw my blog and asked me if i ever made music videos and i had to say no but i loved my video classes in high school and i think it's time i turned the images in my head during songs into music videos. it's a very logical next step. this ties in to the other course i want to take which is on photographing musicians. it's the perfect mesh of all my interests, really. i've been thinking of dabbling in promotions in music and just need someone to consent to be my guinea pig for marketing strategies. if i can do a good job making a name for a band or artist, then i can really legitimize myself. i've always wanted my own business. when i was in the 9th grade i tried to start a greeting card company (although now i can't remember why) but let it flop because i wasn't really inspired. well, now i'm inspired. i'm even reconsidering my original plans of going to law school. i mean, cmon, i don't want more school i'm suffering enough doing liberal arts while i think i am already capable enough and passionate enough to be out in the real world making moves and being an adult. if i do this promotions thing i can reduce costs hugely by having my own photography and film skills. it's the perfect combo of art, music, math, and people. i can't wait to see how this all works out.

No comments: