Sunday, May 2, 2010

my purpose

today this blog hit 1000 visitors and kept on going. i am so happy =D I think it's time to just reflect back on what this blog started as and became.

Sometimes a morning rings true as the title for a blog of me because i rarely experience mornings (except when at school but that doesnt feel like real life often). I am a night creature and during the summer when i can do my own thing i pretty much only see mornings when i havent slept all night. morning has always been disorienting for me. mornings mean i have to get out of my cocoon and tend to responsibilities or they mean i shouldve been asleep hours ago. every one is unique in the mixed feelings it gives me yet they are unavoidable. sometimes, though, when the weather is perfect and the homework is done and i can just lie outside and watch the sun rise, the feeling i've had is of the most glorious release. the world is my oyster and i want to spend my day creating. my life has sometimes had these euphoric mornings but usually i live at night when the day is already wasted so why not go out and explore?


If you look back at the first posts from July 2009, I was posting music and photos and random thoughts in a hodge podge collage of anything i didn't want to clutter my facebook with (after all, facebook isn't twitter and it's annoying when people post too much). That whole summer i was taking a photography course where i was shooting a roll (36 exposures) per day (black and white film) so i didn't use my phone for photos much and didn't use flickr at all. Over time, i had more fun with the grainy lo-res cell camera but then i had to go back to school and had less to shoot. the photos in my mind were not appearing before me in between classes and snow drifts in new england. that's when i started posting other people's photos from flickr with the music that was filling my head. I have always been insistent on accurate lyrics so i posted those with my music.


That is basically how my blog became what it is today. I don't really have an intention because it is basically my diary without details. a gallery of the songs i am listening to at the time of each post with the photos i think fit the music somehow. I am glad i have a place to post everything i find worthy of sharing. I know from my sitemeter that most people come for the music lyrics because a lot of this stuff isnt mainstream enough to have lyrics posted on the big search engines but you can't look at the lyrics without seeing the photography and, perhaps, my mood behind all that.


thank you for coming here and finding out a little more about what's important to me.

-Genevieve

2 comments:

Marty said...

Very very interesting & well-written - your site is more conceptual in nature, then. It's a virtual synecdoche; the viewer assembles the parts in her/his mind's eye. To evolve again, maybe more of your own photos; summer's on its way!

Genevieve Snow said...

thank you very much marty
you hit the nail on the head, i want people to form connections out of what is here. there is a visual narrative to go with the music.

i will definitely be posting more of my own stuff as soon as i go home next week. also, more than one person has suggested that i expand my horizons and dabble in film in the form of music videos so that may be another evolution of the blog however i feel that with continuous images i may be over-narrating. well, i won't know until i try =)