Thursday, August 5, 2010

hot chip concert review

Yesterday I saw Holy Ghost! and Hercules and Love Affair open for Hot Chip at the central park summerstage. I finally got around to getting my laptop repaired but this meant, unfortunately, that I had to bring it to the concert. Still, I am very glad to have it with me in Chicago. Allow me to extol my favorite virtues of this laptop: wide screen so I can have a ton of things open at once, working battery unlike my temporary laptop, light-up keyboard, 35 gigs of my music, a sexy hipster spiderman desktop background.

Anyway, back to the concert. Holy Ghost! opened and were AWESOME. The vocals were great, and the keyboard and synth and guitar. Basically, everything. They're as good live as they are on mp3s and that's saying a lot. I'd totally see them again, hopefully for a longer set.

Hercules and love affair was a bit of a disappointment for me. They came on in an awesome seemingly random group of individuals including two dancers. I was more taken the on-stage antics than anything. I could easily chalk it up to them poorly miked because hercules and love affair sounded significantly quieter than the other two groups and it was hard to get into it. I'd like to see them again in a smaller venue, late at night and very loud with some tequila-based drink in my hand.

Hot chip was adorable. They were one man short as Joe Goddard was having a baby but they had a video of him play for a couple key songs. I was skeptical at first that they could be as good live as they are in the studio but they delivered. They sounded more like a rock band often than electropop or however you'd usually categorize them. All in all, good show, not the best but solid. Worth seeing again.


Holy Ghost!

Hercules and Love Affair

My phone died so I have no pictures of hot chip =(

No comments: