Wednesday, July 28, 2010

a state of active boredom

I feel like nobody has an excuse to be bored. There is always something to do unless, of course, you're in some windowless concrete room. The way I feel is different. I'm bored but not for want of activity. I am cooking and reading and going out all the time but something's missing. Perhaps it's wanderlust, yet I feel happy in my current environment. I think I may start doing some creative writing. I just finished a "#1 New York Times bestseller!" and although the protagonist went through enough interesting stuff, it was simply not well written and the plot hung together like a bunch of cotton squares parading as a quilt. In short, I feel I can do better. Then I will also have physical evidence of my productivity to show my dad and reassure him that I am, in fact, serious about my education. I wish I could be in the woods right now and go exploring with a flashlight. The terror of the unknown would be exhilarating. If a bear walked outside my house right now I'd never hear it over the air conditioning. How boring.